Tuesday 19 November 2013

The Lover


I started reading Marguerite Duras' The Lover once when I was younger, but I couldn't get all the way through it as it was difficult for me to follow; even so, I fell in love with the scenes that Duras described and thus much later decided to read it a second time. I fell in love with it once again. It was a strange book to read; the depressing, simple life of a young girl written beautifully, romantically. What intrigues me most is the fact that Marguerite writes about herself as a young girl; true events, her very own memories. An affair she had with a 32 year old Chinese man when she was as old as I am now. 

I was so excited when I discovered that there was a movie based on the book! I watched it immediately after finishing the book (well, after I finished crying over the end of the book), and I was not disappointed in the slightest (which is usually my expectation of movies based on books)! They could NOT have chosen better than Jane March and Tony Leung. They were perfect for the characters that had formed in my mind while reading. The soundtrack got stuck in my head, and I became addicted to watching certain clips over and over (and I'm not talking about the sex scenes).

This film is now on my mental list of treasures to find at a yard sale/thrift store one day.








"I'm going to die of love for you."
- the Chinese lover


(None of these pictures are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment